Seeking to add pizzazz, breakout spaces and further workstations and to its headquarters in Highbury London, First Mile turned to Rype Office for office interior design, furniture and flooring.
Office Interior Design
Having secured additional floor space to grow, First Mile required the new office interior design to integrate existing furniture and flooring, while adding new complementary colours, to create a dynamic and vibrant office atmosphere.
To achieve this, walkways in purple, green and dark grey carpet tiles were added to the main office area, freeing up carpet tiles to use in new areas for consistency. Purple and green were chosen to complement First Mile’s corporate colour of turquoise.
Casual meeting spaces were added in the main office space, as well as a colourful breakout area seating 17 in the canteen, which can be used for eating, relaxing or informal meetings. A communal kitchen table seating 12 provides additional eating/informal meeting space.
Through more efficient use of space and resizing desks, 18 additional staff were accommodated in the old office footprint – improving space utilisation while incorporating breakout areas.
The use of remanufactured furniture
enabled First Mile to afford high end Vitra Ad Hoc frames for tables, German-made Steelcase desks and Ergonomic Excellence Award-winning G64 desk chairs.
For the furniture
- 86% was reused or remanufactured
- Embodied GHG emissions of around 10 tonnes of CO2e were saved (based on each item embodying 50kg of CO2e and an 80% saving through remanufacturing)
- The frames for the new banquette seats were made by the Merthyr Tydfil Institute for the Blind
- The fabrics used for the additional desk chairs, high backed sofas and throw cushions are hardwearing 100% recycled polyester
For the flooring
- 67% was retained, reused or surplus stock – only 33% of the flooring was new
- The flooring was supplied and laid by Greenstream Flooring, a social enterprise focussed on finding employment pathways for long term unemployed & disabled and providing reclaimed and surplus carpet tiles to low income households to cover bare concrete floors.
Reusing and remanufacturing saved First Mile £78,000 + VAT on the list price of the same furniture if it had been purchased new. That is a 63% saving on the new list price.
First Mile’s Project Director, Alison Smith, was pleased with the result:
The office is AMAZING and completely brings to life my vision of what I wanted. I understand the team reactions have been great, they also love it.