Moving into an open plan space within CAN Mezzanine’s Borough offices, Local Trust were keen to maintain their identity and provide breakout areas for staff, despite a tight footprint. Design Features Rype Office designed a space-efficient layout to comfortably accommodate 10% more staff than the previous tenant, with personal storage space at each desk (see the before and after photos below). A booth and high bench table were included to provide informal breakout spaces which encourage collaboration and interaction. To differentiate Local Trust’s space, green carpet tiles randomly replaced around 10% of the landlord’s grey tiles, a high bench table on a green rug was installed to create privacy from passers-by, and a green border was added to the meeting room’s flooring. Sustainable Furniture Sustainable furniture minimised the cost of the fitout:
- The framework for the blue booth seats was made by the Merthyr Tydfil Institute for the Blind.
- The desks are remanufactured Herman Miller Abak frames with new tops sized to make the most of the available space.
- All pedestals are refurbished.
- The meeting table is a new top on a remanufactured high end frame.
- Meeting chairs and tall stools were refurbished.
- The green carpet tiles forming the rug under the high bench table are reclaimed, having formerly been in a carpet tile showroom.
ABOUT LOCAL TRUST Local Trust’s mission is to enable residents to make their communities and their areas even better places in which to live. Local Trust provides funding and finance to support people to make sustainable change, maximise impact and make the best use of scarce resources. ABOUT RYPE OFFICE Rype Office helps clients to create beautiful, productive offices at substantial cost savings through good design and by using remanufactured and sustainable office furniture. Contact: Greg Lavery at Greg.Lavery@RypeOffice.com or phone 033 3358 3330.