For their new headquarters at Sustainable Bankside in London’s Borough, Winnow sought a Scandi office design incorporating sustainable furniture. Rype Office developed the cost-effective design which integrated remanufactured furniture, reused carpet tiles and new flooring from Interface.
Scandi Office Design Features
A range of Scandi office design cues were employed:
- Timber effect low pile carpet tiles were paired with long pile green carpet tiles to create a natural flooring look for walkways and breakout spaces.
- Whites and greys dominated the colour palette.
- Most timber finishes, including desk and working table tops, are of light stained oak, with other timber finishes used in breakout areas to provide variety and richness.
- 100% wool fabrics were chosen for the banquette seats to provide a warm, cosy, natural feel as well as to absorb noise.
Furniture and flooring was chosen for its environmental, social and economic sustainability:
Scandinavian Look and Intent
- Desk frames are remanufactured Herman Miller Abak system.
- Chairs are Ergonomic Excellence Award-winning G64s, remanufactured to Grade A standard.
- Existing carpet tiles were cleaned and retained under desks (approximately 50% of the floor area) and new flooring was sourced from Interface, the global leader in sustainable carpet tiles.
- All furniture is to be returned to Rype Office for remanufacturing and redeployment at the end of its time at Sustainable Bankside.
- A high bench enables staff to work standing up to ease back muscles and thereby reduce back pain.
- The cost of the remanufactured furniture was less than half of the new list price for the same items.
Using Scandi office design cues, combined with remanufactured sustainable furniture, has achieved both the Scandinavian look and Scandinavian philosophy of frugality.